Do you want to start writing for a digital nomad blog? There are many benefits of doing so, and it’s easier than you might think. In this article, we will talk about what a digital nomad blog is, why someone should consider becoming one, how to become one yourself or just start writing for them. We’ll also discuss the best digital nomad blogs that are currently online!
What is a digital nomad?
A digital nomad is a person who has broken free of their job and is living a nomadic lifestyle. They can work remotely for companies all over the world, traveling around as they do so. No longer do people have to be tied down by one location or company – you can live wherever you want!
This means that you can travel around the world while still working. You can work from a beach or even in the mountains – wherever you feel happy!
Why become a digital nomad?
Many people are starting to live the digital nomad lifestyle and there is no better time than now to join in. There are so many different reasons why someone would want to become location-independent, but here are just some of them!
More flexibility: In today’s world, we’re always on the go. We work, commute, and take care of errands all in a single day. Digital nomads don’t have to worry about this because they can simply do it from anywhere!
More freedom: The digital nomad lifestyle allows you to be free and not answerable to anyone other than yourself if that’s what you want.
More opportunities: There are so many more opportunities out there for digital nomads than people tend to realize. It’s always good to keep an open mind and see the possibilities that come with it!
How do you become a digital nomad with no skills?
Many of the digital nomad jobs require a college degree, but several don’t. All jobs will require a computer and a high-speed internet connection. You might also need software programs like Microsoft Word or Excel, but Google has some free programs like Docs or Sheets to get you started. Zoom or Skype is free to download. You might also need a headset with a microphone and a webcam.
Some examples of jobs as a digital nomad with no experience:
- Virtual Assistant
- Social Media Manager
- Website Developer
- App Developer
- Pinterest Manager
- SEO Specialist
- Freelance Writer
- Affiliate Marketer
- Customer Support Representative
What is a digital nomad blog?
With the increasing number of digital nomads from all around the world, digital nomad blogs are becoming increasingly popular online.
Basically, a digital nomad blog is a website that talks about the lifestyle of a digital nomad. Or it can be a site where you can find information on how to become one yourself.
This is especially useful for people who are interested in becoming location-independent workers but don’t know where to get the information from.
Why Write For Digital Nomad Blogs?
There are many reasons why someone might want to consider becoming a digital nomad and writing for blogs is one of them. Many people dream of being able to travel around the world but never do so because they are tied to their jobs. Writing for a digital nomad blog is the perfect opportunity, as you can work from anywhere in the world!
How to start write for a digital nomad blog
The first step that you have to take if you want to write for a digital nomad blog is to start writing one yourself. This might sound like a daunting task if you’ve never written before, but it’s actually quite simple.
Why should I start a digital nomad blog?
Starting a digital nomad blog is not just about making money online, but it’s also an important way to build up your blogging skills in terms of generating content and building relationships with other bloggers or entrepreneurs.
Starting a digital nomad blog is an amazing way to build a digital nomad community online that you can use as a network and support system along the road.
How to Write for a Digital Nomad Blog
If you want to write for a digital nomad blog, there are two directions you can take to do this:
You can either:
- Write for a digital nomad blog, or
- Write for your own digital nomad blog
Let’s look at them both:
Write For A Digital Nomad
There are many digital nomads out there that want to share their lives online. But many of these people may not have the time, capacity, or skills to do so. This is where you come in – if you enjoy writing and want to write for others, this can be a great opportunity that could change your life!
If you want to write for a digital nomad blog, you can either:
- ghostwrite on their blog or
- write as a contributor or guest writer to their digital nomad blog
Writing as a contributor or guest writer may be a good alternative if you want to be known and grow your authority yourself as a digital nomad. Ghostwriting is a great alternative if you’re looking to earn some money.
How to pitch yourself to write for a digital nomad blog
If you are looking to write for a digital nomad blog you have to contact the owner of the blog and pitch yourself and your ideas.
Here are some things to include in your email pitch:
- Your name
- Blog name and URL (if you have one)
- What you want to write about. Why do you think that there is a gap in the market for these topics or a specific blog post? Write about what makes your article or idea unique. What’s different between it and all the other articles out there on similar topics?
- What are some examples of previous work that you can share with the blogger?
- What are your rates and how long will it take you to complete a post if they decide to go ahead with it.
- Your contact details (including phone number)
Usually, digital nomad guest posts or contributor posts are not paid. But the authority and reputation that you start building are invaluable.
Write For Your Own Digital Nomad Blog
Many people who start their own digital nomad blog do so because they want to share what’s happening in their lives and build their authority online.
If you want to write for your own digital nomad blog, the process is no different than writing for a normal blog – just remember that your target audience consists of other location-independent professionals around the world!
You would first need to set up your blog. Don’t be discouraged by the steps you need to take to launch your blog (even if you’re not good at the technical details). Check out my step-by-step guide on how to start a blog to get you started.
When you have launched your blog, the next step is to think about what you want to write about.
You want to make sure to share unique and valuable content that is aligned with your personal brand. Write at a consistent frequency so people get used to seeing new blog posts from you regularly.
This will help build up the authority of your digital nomad blog and grow an audience who are eager for news about what’s going on in your life!
Some blog posts that you can start with may include:
- Digital nomad interviews – Interview other location-independent professionals who are interested in the lifestyle to find out what their lives and work look like. What kind of jobs do they have? How much money do they make?
- Digital nomad lifestyle – Write about your own experiences as a digital nomad, your daily routines, where you eat and what you do for fun. Write a monthly summary of the most interesting places that you visited during the month. Write about the challenges and struggles you face when working remotely. Write a summary of your adventures after each trip so that people can follow along with what’s going on in your life.
- How to become a digital nomad – Write blog posts for beginners who are interested in becoming location-independent entrepreneurs or freelancers but don’t know where to start. Write a step by step guide on how to become location-independent and support yourself with your own business or freelance work while traveling the world.
- Digital nomad off grid – Write about what it’s like living without access to wifi, electricity and hot water for days (or weeks!) at a time as you travel from place to place in remote areas of the world. Write about your favorite off-grid activities that you can do when there’s no wifi available, how to deal with offline periods in your business and what it feels like being disconnected from society for days at a time.
How To Write A Digital Nomad Blog Post That Gets Read And Shared
When you’re writing your blog posts, make sure that the content is really valuable. It has to be useful and helpful in some kind of way so people will want to read it. Also, write with an authoritative voice! People love reading things written by someone who knows what they are talking
Once you have some readers, you can monetize your blog with sponsored posts, online courses, or affiliate marketing.
It takes a lot more time and effort to run your own digital nomad blog, but the long-term results can be priceless and can even lead to you being able to earn passive income while you travel!
Expenses as a digital nomad
Now you might be wondering how much money you need as a digital nomad. This depends on the lifestyle you want to have. If you just want to travel, stay in hostels and eat street food, then your expenses are going to be really low – perhaps $500 per month or less if you are happy roughing it a bit! However, if you want an apartment with internet access 24/h so that you can work from the moment you wake up until the minute you go to sleep, then your expenses are going to be much higher.
Generally, basic living expenses are most often lower in digital nomad-friendly countries.
You can make a search on Numbeo for the cost of living in your digital nomad destination of choice.
Income Range of a Digital Nomad
You also might be wondering how much do digital nomads make?
The income range of digital nomads is big. A report by Flexjobs in 2018 presented that 40% of digital nomads earn more than $50,000 a year, while 18% earn more than $100,000 a year. Anywhere above 30$ USD, you can consider it as the high-end area of a digital nomad salary.
Digital Nomad Business and Multiple Streams of Income
One of the best ways for digital nomads who want a long-term location independent lifestyle is by building multiple streams of income that allow them to live off their earnings without having to rely on one sole source of income. This gives them more freedom and flexibility as they can take their time to find the right location for them, instead of having to look for jobs or sign contracts with companies. It also means that if there is ever a crisis in certain parts of the world, their income is not going to dry up immediately and they will still be able to earn a decent wage.
To write for digital nomads can be a great extra income resource when you want to live the digital nomad lifestyle yourself.
Other useful tips to remember when you write for a digital nomad blog
Now we hope you’ve gotten some inspiration and have learned where to start when you want to write for a digital nomad blog!
Next, there are some other useful tips to remember:
- Using an AI writing assistant like Jarvis can save you a lot of time and make it easier for you to write. Honestly this has made my life so much easier.
- Make sure that your blog content is really valuable and helpful! Write with an authoritative voice and include some relevant keywords throughout the text (but don’t overdo this, as it will annoy people’s eyes!) I highly recommend to focus on SEO to bring traffic to the blog you’re writing for. My absolute favorite SEO course is Stupid Simple SEO by Mike Pearson. It’s 100% actionable and you’ll get so much value out of it!
- Write in an interesting way – people like stories about real life experiences more than boring tutorials! That is why writing something that entertains your readers at the same time as helping them is a really good idea.
- Use high quality stock photos. Personally I love Styled Stock Society. It’s a membership where you have access to so many gorgeous stock photos (for every niche) as well as social media templates.
- Write long-form posts of around 1000 words if possible – shorter ones can work too but people usually prefer longer content as it is more detailed and comprehensive. Write evergreen blog posts that are relevant no matter when you publish them so they don’t have a short lifespan!
- Always act professional and polite when pitching yourself to write for a digital nomad blog. Bad reputations can spread quickly in the digital nomad community.
Best Digital Nomad Blogs Online
There are a lot of fantastic digital nomad blogs out there – this is just a small selection:
- Digital Nomad Girls – A blog targeted towards female location-independent entrepreneurs who want to make money online.
- Tropical MBA – Write about entrepreneurship, marketing, lifestyle design for digital nomad business owners.
- Digital Nomad Wannabe – A great resource for those who want to learn more about digital nomad living. Write blog posts about online business, location-independent working and other subjects related to the digital nomad lifestyle.
- Digital Nomad Soul – Write about freelancing, working online and building a digital nomad business. Write blog posts that help people with their personal development & self-improvement journey to live an abundant life!
This is just a small selection of some of the best digital nomad blogs out there!
If you don’t know whether a digital nomad blog accepts guest posts, you can always reach out to them in the contact section and pitch yourself and your ideas to them.
Now that you are fully prepared to write for a digital nomad blog, go ahead and pitch yourself as a contributor or sign up with a great blog host to start your own blog right away!
Once you gain some experience as a writer for a digital nomad blog, you will be seen as an authority within the digital nomad niche.